FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Jeff's speech at Deutsche Bank Aviation and Transportation Conference
Old Sep 14, 2011, 5:05 pm
boolean64

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

As the 747/A380/revamped A340/A330 hard products roll out, though, LH comes out well ahead. (I also don't have problems sleeping in LH F or mind smallish screens, so LH superior soft product will win my mileage redemption business... as puny as that is. )

The other thing UA would need to work on would be the premium experience on the ground to come closer to LH's. Right now, LH has better facilities in NYC (JFK lounge) than UA/CO does at EWR. If they're serious about their F product, I'd think they would want to invest in premium ground experience at EWR/SFO/ORD. Doesn't have to be a Mercedes, but refreshing the lounges... well, I'd argue that the VS lounge at SFO beats the UA IFL there.
Oh, I slept just fine on the old LH seat...but I've slept better in the new UA suite. I didn't mind the small screen either since I just used my own IFE. But I definitely have friends who care about the IFE above everything else and would gladly drink Nicholas Feuillatte and Glenlivet in exchange.

UA could definitely pull off the LH ground experience at SFO if it was willing to spend the money and try. The IFL is nice enough, just need to add a hot menu and upgrade the buffet...perhaps buy better booze (although I was impressed to see woodford reserve), and do the car service, especially collecting domestic connections from T3.

But I'll believe it when I see it. In the meantime, I'll earn on UA and burn elsewhere.