FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - NZ02 Auckland airport earliest check-in and bag drop
Old Sep 4, 2011, 9:07 am
soccerpapi

Originally Posted by SFO_FT
I believe the OP is originating at the cruise terminal, so it might indeed be easiest to rent a car in the CBD -- bags could be stored in the boot and then would have transport to the airport -- prob cheaper than a taxi, too
Thank you for the information. This is exactly the case, the ship will arrive at the Auckland cruise pier in the early morning and I will be departing on NZ02 from Auckland to Los Angeles at 22:30 that night.

I made a reservation with Hertz picking up at the downtown location and dropping it off later that evening at Auckland airport. The total price right now for a full size car is about NZD111.00 including taxes.

I believe the cruise line is offering a one way transfer for USD65.00 from the cruise pier to the airport via bus, but it would be early in the day, just after disembarkation.

I am thinking that renting a car would provide transportation, storage for my luggage and an opportunity to see a little more of Auckland and the surrounding area. Is my thinking right on concerning the benefits of renting a car for the day?

Can someone advise me the best way to get from the cruise pier to the Hertz office downtown? I am thinking a taxi would be best, but would appreciate some advice.

Thank you for all your help and advice.

soccer