FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Fall Foliage trip need advice
View Single Post
Old Aug 31, 2011, 10:07 am
BearX220
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by ENFO
@BearX220 - Thank you for your very helpful suggested routes! I wanted to save the bulk of my questions for you but anyone please feel free to chime in.

I've been able to focus a bit more on our needs thanks to all your comments.

First, we prefer to keep our car all the way back to NYC (we have other separate commitments in the Poconos, PA the following week), so I'll skip the return drive to Albany/ Amtrak.

Next, we are trying to stay 2 nights in one place at least. We have a 5 year old with us and feel that 4 overnights paired with car driving might be too much. To make this doable, we can save one night by skipping Burlington and the ferry, in favor of Kancamagus Highway. Although the rest of northern VT sounds beautiful, we will probably save it, incl NE Kingdom, for another trip as per mareh's suggestion. And so try to make the Kanc the northernmost part of the trip.

So based on your remaining suggestions, do you think we can drive from Albany straight to St Johnsbury or another town south of St J? Overnight there, then next day do the loop of 302 eastward and return on the Kanc on the way to Lebanon. OR can we drive to Lebanon instead and do said loop as a daytrip from Lebanon area, which will shorten our first day's drive and give us 2 nights in one place.

If either of the above is a good idea, what is the best route from Albany. Should we still go via Rutland? How to get from Rutland to Lebanon (or St J) and can you recommend anywhere else to stop south of St J so we won't be so far north. I believe this involves part time on 91 and need your feedback. And thanks for the rec to say off I-93.
Ah.... you didn't mention the five-year-old. And nobody foresaw Irene doing so much damage. Obviously I wrote the post above before the storm. But I expect they will move heaven and earth to at least get the state and US roads open in the next 30 days.

If you are still picking up the car in Albany, and not driving up from NYC, I would suggest:

Day 1: Albany to Rutland, US Route 4 over Killington and through Woodstock to the Connecticut River, West Lebanon, and I-91 northbound, then up to St. Johnsbury. West Leb to St. J is only another 60 to 75 minutes. Overnight in St. J for two nights (or nearby Littleton, NH, about 15 minutes south, which has some good kid-friendly hotels including a serviceable Hampton Inn).

Day 2: Do your Kancamagus loop and perhaps poke around the Northeast Kingdom too, depending on young one's stamina; return to St. J.

Day 3: Drop back down to Lebanon / Hanover area, hopefully opting for off-Interstate indirect route through either VT or NH; overnight with your friend.

Day 4: Head back west on US Route 4 to the junction with Vermont Route 100, then turn south for Ludlow and eventually Lenox. Overnight Lenox.

Day 5: Lenox until early afternoon, then drive back to NYC (four hours).

The southern part of Vermont has sustained the most havoc from Irene... Brattleboro is a mess right now... and the Woodstock / Quechee area has been hurt. But the north isn't so bad off -- I've spoken to friends up there who are OK, just waterlogged. Everyone will welcome your trade; the state needs leaf tourism dollars.

I would caution, finally, that a fair amount of Vermont accommodation consists of quaint storybook B&Bs full of quiet character and bric-a-brac that represent a challenge / stressor for small children and the adults in their employ. I would book into proper hotels / motels in the St. J area and in Lenox.