FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Grand Hyatt Kauai REVIEW- MASTER THREAD - mid-2011 Forward
Old Aug 23, 2011, 7:41 pm
19103_aa

Grand Hyatt Kauai REVIEW- MASTER THREAD - mid-2011 Forward

Mod Note: Older discussion of this property may be found at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...id-2011-a.html

Pseudo-trip Report:
Context: Stayed there recently for a work meeting. A standard room was covered by the host, but they offered a $75/night upgrade to ocean suite that I snatched. I am plat

In short: This place is an outstanding property for diamonds, and good for everyone else.

The good:
Physical plant is very nice. Wonderful setting, lovely pool area.
Newly-renovated spa area was great, underutilized. Free use for diamonds and plats.
A hidden gem was the lap pool at the spa for serious swimmers.
All the food (and drink) I had was of good quality
The staff were uniformly excellent and helpful
Plenty of free self parking

The not-so-good
Steep resort fee. Poor value for the resort fee. They knock $5 off for platinums and waive for diamonds. It was hard to see the value. The wireless internet in my room was awful, and the login interface should just be scrapped. Bottles of water can be purchased at Costco. An hour of tennis and free fitness center isn't worth it.
Common areas were not in great shape. Hallway carpeting and walls were in poor shape.
Resort-like fees for dining. If meals are not included in your package, go elsewhere. Tidepools was nice as noted, but very pricey. Plenty of good options in surrounding Poipu.

In short, I'd go back if someone else is paying or if I was diamond using FFN (or similar). I'm not sure I'd pay the $375/night rate they were offering the week of my stay. Nor would I use points at full "price" to stay here. I know this place has a loyal following on this board, and it's easy to see why, but I wanted to share my non-diamond perspective.

Last edited by peteropny; Jan 26, 2012 at 7:20 pm