FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SPG American Express [Master Thread]
View Single Post
Old Aug 22, 2011, 8:33 pm
mgchan

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Not everyone restricts their shopping to major retailers.

I use Amex whenever I can just look at my MasterCard bill to see who doesn't accept it. This month, I see AAA, parking vendors, trash collector, and about 25% the restaurants I frequent. Pacific Gas & Electric used to accept Visa/MC, but not Amex (now they don't accept cards at all). In addition, I also avoid Amex for all foreign purchases because of the 2.7% rip-off fee.
I do recognize the frustration with people not taking Amex. Oftentimes the larger purchases I make don't take Amex, usually smaller companies or those that don't take a lot of payments (professional licensing fees for example). Whenever I have the chance to use Amex I take it if I am working on multiple bonus offers. For example when the Citi Amex/Visa combo came out I definitely put everything I could on the Amex first because Visa is more widely taken.

However, if it is truly going to be an issue for getting the points on the Amex card, I say go ahead an do things that might not be optimal. Paying the 2.7% on a $500 purchase which would prevent the bonus from expiring is well worth it in my opinion. You can also try to get gift cards or something which again isn't optimal but well worth it to get 30k.

That said, it's somewhat unusual for only $4500/$15000 spend to be at places that take Amex. I'm not doubting it but I think your spend habits are atypical.