FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Merger Update: Details about our $500M in onboard product improvements
Old Aug 21, 2011, 4:48 pm
joshwex90
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Does it say if the flatbeds will be the UA version or CO version? I'm hoping for CO version.
I would imagine CO will stick with the CO version and UA 3-cabin will stick with the UA ones. For UA 2-cabin, something tells me the CO ones will also be used.

Originally Posted by endrond
This announcement isn't exactly what I hoped to hear. (which would have included things like p.s. operating SFO-EWR, SFO-ORD and SFO-BOS with 60 seats in flat-bed C...).

But from my perspective it is, overall, unambiguously good news.
Was also hoping to see p.s. be extended to EWR, and that p.s. would remain E+ throughout.

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
UA just got 13 longhauls to add to the fleet by converting the domestic 763 fleet.

Oh, and they aren't going to stop converting the 777s to 3-class. (I am kind of surprised that they aren't converting the domestic 777s as well- to be 2-class flatbed planes).
Is that the famous "ghetto bird"?

And I too was surprised that they're not converting the domestic 777s.

Originally Posted by mecabq
Of course. If they succeed in creating a business model where most people sitting in C actually paid to do so (like every airline outside the U.S.), then it will increase the company's health.
Outside of North America, not the USA. Air Canada also has many people sitting up front that didn't really pay for it. (As does LY, though that's a different case entirely.)

Originally Posted by mduell
Yes, but note the announcement says "26 flat-bed Business Class seats and 114 in Economy" not "26 flat-bed Business Class seats and 114 in Economy Plus" so it's left ambiguous.
Hopefully it will remain E+, though that doesn't look possible. This looks to be the end of p.s., because this will look like standard transcon, like with DL. Slightly increased F cabin, but that's it. Maybe they'll go the direction of DL and soon AA, and just have a domestic product and a transcon product.

And vv shorthaul, CO charges for Y IFE but UA does not. Will they harmonize there too?
Does UA not charge for IFE on domestic routes with PTVs? Haven't done domestic 752 in a while, but on the overheads, it obviously doesn't cost anything.

Originally Posted by channa
Am I missing something with this one? I always get my bag in the A319s/320s, lengthwise. I never noticed a difference between these bins and the 757 bins (or the CO bins for that matter).
Haven't done the A320 on UA, but comparing B6 to CO (A320 to 737,) I've always found B6 to have slightly larger bins, and wider aisles, on top of seats slightly wider (and more legroom and much more comfortable!).