FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Nikon F5?
Thread: Nikon F5?
View Single Post
Old Aug 20, 2011, 10:27 am
DJGMaster1
Suspended

Originally Posted by anrkitec
This wouldn't be a very good option IMO.

The N90/90s does not have a second command dial therefore you cannot use Nikon's newer G lenses effectively.

The F100 - which can also be had in mint condition for next-to-nothing - would be a much better option long term, not to mention that you get essentially the same build quality as the F5 in a smaller and lighter package and the F100's auto focus and metering systems are an order of magnitude better than the N90/90s [which was indeed a superb camera for the mid 90's].

Also, the F100 can use a larger number of older and more specialized manual focus Nikkors than could the N90/90s such as the older serial number PC lenses.
I actually don't consider the inability to use G lenses with an older film camera to be a significant issue at all - and I couldn't rationalize paying triple the cost of a used N90s body for used F100 which is otherwise similar except for better matrix metering and slightly faster motor advance and AF - for what I was already certain would be a failed experiment for the OP. In any case, I was glad to see that the OP had come to his senses and was going to be investigating DSLRs, with my recommendation of the D90 as his starting point.