FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Renaissance Dallas Richardson [Master Thread]
Old Aug 19, 2011, 9:48 pm
pinniped
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Hmph. Just arrived at the Renaissance in Richardson. Some good and some bad to report.

GOOD:
- Plats get weekend breakfast on all rates.
- Legal overnight street parking is nearby.
- Lounge is closed but my key works for it. (Didn't check WiFi *in* the lounge. Signal is strong on the 12th floor though.)
- The property itself is clean and modern, comparable to the Plano Marriott. A bit nicer than the Renaissance near Love Field (the lipstick-shaped hotel).
- The Platinum amenity is above average - a nice cheese spread with four cheeses and some fruit, not the usual Boursin thing. Wine is the usual Meridien merlot (1/2 bottle).

BAD:
- Check-in was a train wreck. First of all, no one was there to check me in. Finally a guy showed up, but he just started working there today, apparently.
- I was on a $149 rate that included breakfast plus a $50 Visa gift card. The new guy kept calling it the "Fine Dining" rate but said there was no gift card. Finally a 2nd guy showed up and said "No, that's a Shopping Package and it should get a gift card, but the guy who has the gift cards isn't here."
- Finally they just gave me the $87 AAA rate that I almost booked to begin with. I had been willing to buy the higher rate, spending the extra $12 for the extra MR points, but whatever...it's a wash. Biggest complaint is that it took 20 minutes to sort it out.

I'd recommend it as a (usually) lower-cost FS alternative to Plano. But just book the lowest available rate...I'll never attempt the Visa gift card thing again. It's really only my craving for an additional 1,000 or so MR points that made me consider it to begin with - it was not actually a better deal.

ADDED THIS MORNING:
- Very good buffet. The details were well-attended to. Crispy bacon, flavorful potatoes, etc. Eggs to order (incl. omelets) are offered as well. Overall, good restaurant service.
- Strangely enough, the hotel could not provide a final bill for me. I'm sure it's related to my rate change from last night. The morning crew, however, was much friendlier and promised to send an email this morning. (We'll see if that happens...)

Last edited by pinniped; Aug 20, 2011 at 7:43 am