FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Nikon F5?
Thread: Nikon F5?
View Single Post
Old Aug 18, 2011, 5:32 pm
DJGMaster1
Suspended

One other thing I almost forgot - even if you ignore my earlier advice and wanted to pick up a film camera to try this with, there's no reason for someone who shoots the stuff you shoot to bother with an F5 - it's way too heavy and bulky a camera to ideally meet your needs, and it's a vast degree of overkill for you. Rather than getting an F5, I would suggest that if you wanted a good film slr that's compatible with Nikon lens mount, you should get a Nikon N90s (also known as the F90x in overseas markets). These puppies have around 90% of the capabilities and features of an F5, but half the size and weight, and nowadays, you can pick up a clean body for $50-75 on ebay with no problem at all. And the shutter speed goes to 1/8000th, which is more than fast enough for any application.

And after you've abandoned the idea, you still only dropped $50-75 on a perfectly good film SLR body.

Much more of the cost and effort involved would be in getting a good dedicated 35mm film scanner. You can get some junk ones for $50-75, but most of the good ones for serious work have been long discontinued, and good luck with software support.

As far as the capabilities of the D90 compared to an F5, it's apples and oranges. You said you wanted fast shutter speeds. A D90 goes to 1/4000th of a sec., which, frankly, is more than fast enough to freeze any action you wish, even though an F5 can go faster, at least 1/8000th They are built to do different things - A D90 shoots 12 Megapixel digital images, and can burst them at 4.5 images per second. An F5 can shoot 9 FPS on film, but a D90 can also shoot video at 30 FPS.

But BY FAR, the main difference is that the D90 is designed to be a highly practical, highly capable, reasonably priced DSLR, while the F5 is designed to be a workhorse tank of a professional FILM camera. And I frankly don't see why you would want that, nowadays, or ever, given what you said you like to shoot. As I said, even if you DID want to shoot film rather than digital, an N90s would be a far more practical and less costly solution for you than an F5.

Last edited by DJGMaster1; Aug 18, 2011 at 5:43 pm