FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - HA Skymall Offer Not Honored?
View Single Post
Old Aug 14, 2011, 6:23 am
Marathon Man
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
in other areas of FT one can find similar e-shopping/mall offers for products with huge mileage promises for purchasing items.

There's a thread on earning AA miles for buying Verizon products - you would get 83,871 miles for spending $2.97 on a plastic cover for example.

There's a thread on DL for buying more Verizon products - you could get 2,300 miles for buying a rubber phone protector for $5 or less.

And one on PC for Verizon products too - you could get 5,300 miles for buying a charger.

The AA one has no language stating how any terms work--just that you need to buy the products and receive them via Fed X.

The DL one has a quickly flashing screen that says something like, "terms and conditions may apply" in fine print but there's no way to click on this nor are these T&Cs readily found anywhere--not on SkyMall nor on Verizon's page.

The PC one has a quickly flashing screen that says something about eligibility on contract sign ups but this too is vague and nowhere is it spelled out.

All three of these come through a company called Cartera which is like FreeCuase/Kobie Marketing.

Cartera is located in Lexington, MA and in early August they posted 3 jobs on Linked In. Here is one of them--I am actually going to interview for it and tell them that my qualifications are all about miles and how to not get screwed.

http://www.linkedin.com/jobs?viewJob...jobs_biz_nprem

Interesting that FC, Cartera, EZ are all located in MA.

To me, while this HA deal is different than the three Verizon things above, there's definitely a trend going on: Companies are using some new tactic of enticing buyers with inflated mileage promises to generate traffic. This is a scam. Now they either have to deliver said miles or pay dearly with their jobs. One or the other or both.