FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Two Days in Anchorage - Beginning of October
Old Aug 14, 2011, 2:14 am
DeltaWings

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
Two Days in Anchorage - Beginning of October

So I have booked the DL mileage run from FLL to ANC for October 1-3. I get in around 8pm on October 1 (a Saturday) and leave around 9pm on Monday the 3rd. So I've got about 48 hours to work with. This will be my first trip to Alaska.

I'll be staying at the Marriott downtown -- unless you have a better suggestion?

I'd like to do some sea kayaking, but most of the web sites I've looked at seem to stop the guided tours in September. I am a very experienced kayaker, so would renting a kayak make sense? Does anyone know of any tours that continue into the first week of October?

I'm probably going to try to play a round of golf -- the courses in the Anchorage area seem to stay open until the middle of October.

I thought I might do the drive North from Anchorage and try to catch a glimpse of Mt. McKinley from Trapper Creek -- I have heard the view is pretty good from there, if the mountain isn't under cloud cover.

The weather outlook for October suggests I'm going to experience temps in the 30s and 40s. Though I live in Florida, I'm a PA native, so shouldn't be too bad.

Any suggestions for things that I must see or do? I love the outdoors, love to see things, capable hiker. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!