FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DL ad: Moo! Tired of the cattle call..
View Single Post
Old Aug 9, 2011, 7:31 am
InkUnderNails

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
One of the reasons that I choose WN is the boarding procedures. It is low on the list, but it is there. In addition to the ridiculous zone boarding fiasco announced once and only once (is there a rule that they can not repeat the current zone number for those that did not get it?) by OA's that mubble or stick the microphone up to their mouth so everything sounds like mpphh mpphh mpphh mpphh mpphh at 100 dB. For those of us that are hearing impaired it is torture.

I have no status on other airlines, so I do not get to board early. The overhead bin space is at a premium due to high baggage fees. These combine to create a situation where I may be forced to check my carry on.

It contains over $15K in sensitive and expensive electronics. It will not get checked. I have asked for a signed statement that the airline would be responsible and have gotten looks like a calf looking at a new gate. It is a foreign concept.

Even gate check is a nightmare. My bag has come back open twice. It has an odd closure that creates an airtight seal. It is fairly easy to open. So, two known attempts at pilfering where I had to open it up in the jetway and do an inventory. I now close it up with cable ties and locks.

Another time I was standing at the bottom of the stairs waiting for gate checked luggage and the nearest cart was full. The baggage handler took my bag, threw it over the full cart into the bottom of the empty cart behind it while laughing out loud about his feat. I immediately went into correction mode and that baggage handler will not forget that encounter. I reported him inside at customer service. I spent two hours at the hotel checking calibration and operation of the equipment. It is a good thing I spent the bucks for a Pelican case.

Not all of us have a change of clothes and tooth paste in our carry on.