FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Photo TR Swiss F ZRH-LAX
View Single Post
Old Aug 8, 2011, 10:56 am
elsie

Photo TR Swiss F ZRH-LAX

Hi everyone,
I guess this will be the standard, " I flew first and it was great" type of thing.
Sorry, but "Hey, it's fun and I paid for it with miles and that's what we're all here for (mostly)!"

I am doing a RTW spread over several months using 4 one-way redemptions from 3 different programs. This is the first section. I flew MUC-SAF with a combination Miles & More and BA Executive Club. I originally had a LH Miles-and More RT booked before the enhancement, but after the enhancement used the new one-way awards they were offering. Sure, the mileage price was high and the taxes were MORE than half of the RT I had already booked, but hey it was how I wanted to fly.

I flew MUC-ZRH-LAX joined with a LAX-SAF (stopover)-DFW-ATL(stopover) ticket. Next will be ATL-ORD-NRT(JL F on AA redemption) then NRT-MUC (NH C on BMI Redemption, hoping for F to open up).

This post is a report on the ZRH-LAX flt which is basically a food pictorial.

Years ago I had flown SR F when it was a DL partner, but we all know how long ago that was. My itinerary was MUC-ZRH-LAX. I flew to ZRH with a 22 hr connection to be able to do some shopping and was able to take advantage of the great Carlsonf rate available at the Radisson ZRH Airport which I can recommend. (Check out the Hotel Deal Forum for more information.)

I didn't take any pictures of the LX MUC-ZRH segment. 35 min flying time on an AR1, 2-3 configuration. I made the mistake if sitting on the left which means that you are sitting next to someone. Next time right side: they block the middle seat.

The next day I checked in at the F Class Counter. Elapsed time: 20 seconds.
Two agents, no passengers.

Glad there was a bouncer!

Headed for the Flounge which was nice, but as most agree MUC and FRA are better.

Buffet

Bubbly

Bar

Swiss Mezze with Rose

View

I took advantage of the transfer. I know that some feel it doesn't have any true advantage, but there were no lines at any of the security points and it just seemed very convenient, still FRA wins!

Transfer

I boarded and before take off enjoyed Cheese straws and Grilled Scallop with Wasabi Mayonnaise on Cannellini

The cabin was full (2 op-ups) and was served by two flight attendants. One worked the galley and one served the passengers. Excellent service by the one FA, despite 8 passengers.

Display could have used some tweaking:

Table setting with the biggest individual salt and pepper grinders I have ever seen on an airplane! Laurent-Perrier Grand Siecle

Appetizer: Baby squash, fennel puree with apple, Filet of Balik salmon, Lobster cocktail with papaya salad

I liked how the bread was a loaf of three different types of rolls baked together.

Cold cucumber soup with ginger and avocado gnocchi. J. Moreau & Fils Chablis 1Cru Vaillons 2009

Seasonal salad with grilled courgettes and yellow cherry tomatoes.

Lamb loin poached in red wine, Aubergine filled wontons and ratatouille.
Chateau Bahans Haut-Brion 1998.
(The lamb was med-rare! Yea!)

Fresh Goat Cheese, Tomme la Fleur, L'Armailli de Gruyere. Shiraz Selkirk 2007 Australia

Chocolate Hurricane with raspberry compote. Sauternes Chateau Raymond-Lafon 2003.

No I didn't eat the whole box!
Zuger Kirsch 1995 Etter

Arrival Snack. Fribourg Vacherin Quiche. Fresh Seasonal Fruit.

Great Flight!

After arrival it took ONE AND A HALF HOURS to get through immigration at LAX.
I spent the night at the LAX Hilton and then flew the next day to SAF.
It was great to fly straight to SAF rather than going to ABQ. It was full American Eagle flight served by a very friendly FA!

(Photos taken by my HTC Sensation.)

Last edited by elsie; Aug 8, 2011 at 11:12 am