FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BR to JFK eff 31Oct
View Single Post
Old Aug 6, 2011, 9:15 pm
username
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by roundrulers
When EVA Air started flying from Taipei to the New York City area, it flew into JFK. A few years later, they moved to Newark(EWR) airport.

Apparently they have changed their minds again and decided to move the passenger operations back to JFK. (effective November)

This doesn't seem like the right decision for an airline that is planning to join Star Alliance in the near future. Newark is a big hub for United(formerly Continental).
I think NYC service started 6/6/1993 at EWR. Back then, it was a redeye from SEA with lots of time to kill between SEA and EWR for immigration and customs to open in EWR (where you clear). Then it was a morning departure out of EWR getting back to TPE early evening. That did not last long - they switched to evening arrival/departure not too long after that. Still, you don't clear immigration/customs until EWR. The clearning out west thing started sometime BEFORE 9/11.

JFK was added later and then dropped - I think it was operated with the MD-11. I don't think they have ever suspended EWR until now.

See the other thread. One member mentioned this might have something to do with EVA wanting to pickup the void left by CI switching their JFK schedule. It is very plausible. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...n-tpe-jfk.html is another thread that is related.

Last edited by username; Aug 7, 2011 at 2:28 am