FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: MileSAAver award reduction / scarcity 2011 - Dec 2014
Old Aug 5, 2011, 12:35 pm
tjbrooks

Originally Posted by clacko
may dates have been bookable for 2 mo's, june for 1 mo....perhaps the early bird got the deal!....better luck next year....
Nope. Just two days ago there was availability for about 50% of days in June, with connections in through ORD/DFW/JFK. This was an overnight across the board change. From what I can tell it's all of US-Europe.
Perhaps they're going to change to a SkyPesos system of only offering cheap award tickets when they know for sure they won't sell? Funny to have a peak season 20k upcharge when they're going to be this protective of them.

Originally Posted by JDiver
Maybe Revenue Management is playing it close to the vest with MileSAAver awards (and cheap seats) with the 2012 Olympics in London?
If so, why would they started the blocking of seats 12 weeks in advance of the opening ceremonies? Airfare is far more flexible than accommodations when it comes to big sporting events. Airfare was only slightly elevated for Vancouver 2010. Dropped to dirt cheap right before ($199 all-in from LAX, during the whole two weeks). Rental car companies tried price gouging, $120/day for an economy car in December. One week before the games? $9.95/day on Hotwire. I wouldn't doubt the airlines trying it, especially to get the anxious trying to book 331 days out.

My friend chose to get married two weeks before the Olympics....now we may not go. Hawaii peak is still untouched...in fact, First is still available for all but four days in June.