FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New York & Chicago - 30th Birthday Celebration
Old Aug 4, 2011, 4:43 am
Euan

Continued...

Boarding was announced just after 8.30pm and we proceeded to the gate where we were met by the usual scrum and carnage that BA appears to manage to create whenever they board an aircraft. As I’ve said before, other airlines are able to board all First and Business class passengers BEFORE economy, why can’t BA? This is a large area where BA let themselves down when it comes to their premium product, particularly First class.

We eventually got to door 2 and whilst at first no-one was available to show us forward a crew member did quickly appear to show my other half to her seat whilst I went to the far away aisle and found my seat.

This was our first flight on the 777 in First and so I had chosen 2E and 2F (on a 747 we opt for 2A and 2K). There were 11 of 14 seats taken in the cabin with only 1F, 1K and 4K free which the crew thought was unusual to be such a busy flight for a Saturday night.

Service began as soon as I found my seat and I was asked if I would like something to drink so whilst a glass of champagne was brought to me I hung my jacket in my personal wardrobe.

Once passengers were settled and drinks had been provided the crew handed out amenity kits together with First pyjamas which I wear once during the flight and then pass to my other half who uses them at home. The safety video was played on the nice new F screens and crew then cleared away the empties whilst we taxied and it wasn’t long before we were up in the sky.

So what was I most looking forward to? Well the new seat of course and here are my general thoughts:
  • Wider - I felt it was considerably wider than old F, even more so when used as a bed.
  • More comfortable - felt more padded and supportive.
  • Controls - I liked the new seat controller which I found easy to use and responsive. I would have liked the option to raise the leg support without lowering the rest of the seat.
  • The TV in my opinion it’s a perfect size for its location.
  • Lighting good
  • Cabinet good for coat but quite cramped after that.
  • The middle seats are filled in giving more space for placing items
  • Excellent sleep!