FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada told to create nut-free buffer zones
Old Aug 3, 2011, 1:40 pm
HR_Traveler

Programs: AC Elite, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by exbayern
I can empathise, but it still doesn't give one person the right to demand that hundreds of other people are put into a bad situation themselves, especially if they did not plan ahead and prepare. Other people have medical conditions such as diabetes. It is also unrealistic to expect every passenger to be awake during an announcement, or to understand the language of the announcement.

I agree with the LH policy I witnessed. If the passenger is so impacted that nobody can eat nuts on board an A340, then the passenger must give advance notice. If they fail to do so, they are denied boarding and can fly another day after giving appropriate notice.
I was just kidding...I think we are largely on the same page.

I agree with the LH actions you sighted and I remember that AC did the same thing not too long ago. I don't think there is a perfect solution but I do think that it's unfair to spring the news on passengers once they've boarded rather than giving advance notice. I also beleive that the approach to deboard passengers who disagree with the request as being trouble makers is offensive. At the end of the day the passenger with the alergy is equal to and does not superseed the passenger who is not.