FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada told to create nut-free buffer zones
Old Aug 3, 2011, 11:03 am
HR_Traveler

Programs: AC Elite, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by braysu
Interesting posts however I must say I am a bit dissappointed by the comments since my daughter has allergies to nuts & shellfish. Before they had this policy if someone ate nuts next to my daughter we politely advised of our situation or asked to be moved. The smell of peanuts or peanut butter makes her feel ill. She carries an Epipen at all times & has not had an allergic reaction in over 8 years since she is very careful (she used to only want to fly Westjet since they were more accomodating to her) . She would never eat food served in an airplane nor a restaurant. She eats onlly foods she prepares herself & reads every label every time.

I see this as a common courtesy. You would give a seat up for a pregnant woman as would you not blow smoke around someone who may not want to be exposed to second hand smoke ( or has an allergy) The smoking ban has worked well everywhere as far as I can see so not sure why asking a few seats in front & back of an allergic person not to eat nuts for a few hours would be such an inconvenience.

Allergies to nuts is not just a sick feeling, it can cause your throat to swell and you can die. I am surprised at how most people have reacted to this post and hope over time most people understand and accomodate those with allergies.

Thank you to those who made these changes possible.
While I think we can all empathise with your daugters situation I think that you would agree that like the rest of us, you are not unbiased.

Much of the pushback (IMHO) is driven by the reality that people are alergic to pretty much everything, if we continue to restrict what the majority can consume in order to protect the small minority we'll be drinking water while in public and nothing else. I would also question your smoking analogy since smokers represent a shrinking minority (I think it's less than 15% of the Canadian population currently) while those not alergic to nuts are a significnant majority (~95% according to Ipsos Ried).

What is the right compremise? I don't know but subjecting a group of paying travelers to a rule which they are not forewarned about may not be fair, afterall with warning they could have chosen a different seat or flight.