FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DL upgrade policy -- your thoughts?
View Single Post
Old Jul 25, 2011, 2:26 pm
glbetrotter

Programs: DL DM, EY Plat, MM Senator
DL upgrade policy -- your thoughts?

Greetings, fellow flyers! My first post here, and I am a little worried that I will be skirting a potentially sensitive issue. Someone touched upon this topic just a few days ago, but I cannot find the thread any longer.

We certainly all enjoy upgrades, and as DM, I have had nearly 100% upgrade success during the last 2 years, both on short haul and on t-con flights, mostly from mid-level fares, and sometime from YBMs (I seldom end up getting the lowest fares). I often pay for D or I classes too, especially on the t-con trips when I need to make sure that I can work or rest. However, on several occasions now, Delta downgraded aircraft on their t-con routes (to older 757 without AVOD and power), resulting in a new seat assignment -- usually the last row in the corner, no recline, next to toilet, etc. Surely, also no meal of my choice by the time they get to my row (would it be that hard to ask a DM on a paid F/D/I fare for his choice of a meal first?). The last-minute upgrades at the gate, often Gold and Silver Medallions, end up with better seats and better service. That's just plain wrong.

In my opinion, only top tier (DM/PM) Medallions should have access to complimentary upgrades from lowest fares. The current policy of upgrading anyone and everyone really dilutes and devalues Delta's First class product. I, for sure, will never pay a First class fare any longer, I just see no reason for doing that; I would get the same service anyway with a lowest coach fare.

I do not mean to be arrogant and insensitive (and expect the wrath of the FO and GMs for this post), but isn't Delta's current upgrade policy just wrong and makes little business sense too? They are loosing paid premium fares (like myself) and gain lowest-paying coach passengers who might come to them hoping for an upgrade.

I am not old, but probably old-fashioned believing that we should be getting what we are paying for, not "everything and for free." The perks should be reserved for the most loyal customers, and now they have become almost an entitlement for anyone who has taken a few flights and got a right credit card from American Express. What do my fellow delta flyers think?