FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Annual fee retention bonus for Starwood Amex Card (Pre-May, 2019)
Old Jul 24, 2011, 8:23 am
troyintn

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Counsellor
I think it has to do with your charging history against the card. Seems better customers get better retention offers (no surprise, really).

I have a long history with the card (had it since its inception) but only one time charged over $30K in a year. Usual average was around $24K, but this year less than that since I had shifted charges to another card to get a signing bonus, so has put on only about $10K.

Was offered 1K Starpoints. I suspect the 3K reflects $30K or more charging per year, while the 5K is probably around $60K or more per year.

However, I could be wrong. Anyone else want to tell us how much (s)he was offered and how much was charged on the card the previous year? Enough data points and we should be able to discern a pattern, if not break the code completely.
I had a run around with them. To put it mildly. Called to get it waived, One agent said they could not do it another agent said they could. I told them to cancel my card when the cycle ended. One agent then called and offered 10k points the first agent called and offered to waive my fees. At the end of the day I got both. I have averaged about 100-120k a year on it for about 10 years now for work.