FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - R.I.P., Mint. We loved you. Fan thread. Share your memories, stories etc.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 10:49 pm
schley

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by RoyalFlush
I agree 100%

We need to stop printing the $1 bill tomorrow. A paper bill has an average life span of 11 months. A coin, 35 years.
People don't want to carry coins, plain and simple. They really don't even like carrying cash. I would get rid of the penny tomorrow before I get rid of the paper dollar. If a penny can't buy anything why is the denomination even in existence?

Originally Posted by mick325
I was at my local grocery store today using 22 coins to pay for my daily grocery run....Coincidentally, the guy next to me at the automatic checkout lane was also using coins...Noticing each other, he looked at me and said "Flyertalk?" which I replied "Yep".

Then, interestingly, the cashier told us that nearly all of the $1 coins that make it into the cashier tills get rolled and sent back to the fed because most customers refuse them in change. My local bank said that they were sending back $10-$15,000 per WEEK to the fed because of 'large deposits' of the $1 coins and no customers who would accept them as change.

I think that the FT community and all those who participated in the program did a huge favor to the Fed, mileage rewards/bonus points or not, by at least taking the time to get them into our local economies. The real issue here is the fact that the average American customer just plain dislikes the idea of a $1 coin. I estimate that I purchased about $100,000 worth of coins in 2.5 years. I can honestly say that that only about $2-3,000 of these ended up being deposited in my bank account.
Considering this is your first post and this is the internet and you are anonymous I guess we will take this as gospel.