FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What's the most overrated airline in the world?
Old Jul 20, 2011, 9:19 am
mecabq

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
I find LH's service robotic, but at least staff are competent and knowledgeable -- fits the German cultural stereotype, I suppose.

I will add two nominees:

-- Singapore: Yes, this is an excellent airline. I have limited experience, having flown a handful of times in all three classes on short- and mid-haul routes. But I am not sure that it lives up to the fawning accolades and the hype, and, for the mileage collector, there are some downsides.

-- Qatar: This is a great airline from the time you get to your seat until the time that you get up. However, a lot of other aspects -- ground handling, customer service -- are painful, so that, on balance, it's not always a great total offering if you fly them frequently and inevitably experience problems. I have been much more comfortable with EK in this regard. I find the DOH premium terminal to be overrated. I probably find the Senator lounges in FRA no worse, over-crowded as they are, because they have better amenities -- lots of newspapers, draught beer, self-service alcohol (which is available in the QR F premium terminal but not J), staff who can solve problems, and a better selection of snacks (though inferior selection of meals). I agree that paid internet in LH lounges is a major drawback.

I have been fortunate to avoid any major irregular operations in my travel with QR, but I am sure that their handling would be poor, compared to LH's deftness. As I have said in previous posts on the QR forum, part of the problem lies with the Doha airport, for which one can't totally blame the carrier, and which will hopefully be remedied soon.