FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Email reply from TSA on my inquiry about having passengers speak their names
Old Jul 19, 2011, 1:13 pm
FliesWay2Much
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In response to your recent concern regarding TSA Ticket Document Checkers (TDC) at IAH asking passengers to state their names, you may have heard about the recent incident at another airport of an individual who inappropriately gained access through the TSA TDC. You may also have heard on the news about changes TSA is planning to implement as it moves to a more risk based security. At airports around the country, you will encounter different methods being employed at different positions as part of pilot programs and assessment opportunities. Pilot programs and their assessment are opportunities to review changes in the security screening process and their impact prior to implementing at airports around the country, or in some cases identifying that certain processes have no substantial value.

We recognize that this can be frustrating when your experience at one airport is apparently different than at another, however, pilot programs are instrumental to field testing and assessing results before making them a standard operating procedure. These assessments help to provide data to determine whether other processes can be modified or avoided in the future. We appreciate your patience in assisting us to work toward improving the process you have become accustomed to.

If I can offer further information or clarification, please do not hesitate to contact me.
What a crock. So, the TSA's idea of "transparency" is for us to rely on the news? I think anyone of us could identify "certain processes have no substantial value." This name-pronouncing idea is completely useless and in completely unenforceable. Of course, "substantial value" to the TSA is measured in dollars added to their budget and clerks added to the work force.