FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bangkok Tailors [PRE-2013 ARCHIVE]
View Single Post
Old Jul 18, 2011, 10:42 pm
tailoronten

Location: Tailor On Ten, Sukhumvit Soi 8, Sukhumvit Road, Bangkok, Thailand
Originally Posted by dein_gesicht
After reading all the posts, I am a bit confused about which tailor I should use. I will get at least two suits and ten shirts. From what I have read, there is not much difference in the prices/quality of shirts. I'm really after the following for my suit:

- Good fabric: I'm not looking for a 8k thb suit, but rather am happy to spend 20-25k thb on the suit. Would prefer super 120s or 150s
- Timely: need to get it done within my 5-7 days in Bangkok (can visit the store most days if required)

Would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance
Hi dein_gesicht,
As far as shirts go, one of the most obvious differences in quality can be stiff collars and cuffs. This is usually the case when a cheaper interlining has been used. When you move the collar or cuff back and forth in your hands you will hear a "crackling" sound or noise. This is not a good thing. So that is something to look out for when you have some shirts made. As far as shirting fabric goes, most blended fabric in Bangkok tends to be 35% cotton/65% polyester which obviously dont wrinkle much but don't feel great either! There are some nice cottons to be had, there is a huge range of excellent classic shirting fabrics. Be careful of printed fabrics (often used as contrast fabrics) because the colours bleed/run.

As far as suits go you can find some nice Super 120's in Bangkok, but not so many 150's , though many of the selvages will say super 150's cashmere wool and so on this is not the case! Your budget will certainly allow for some really great quality suits.

If you are getting more than one suit made it is important that you do a few fittings on both suits. Not just the one as many tailors like to do. Although we try to make them the same, there are always subtle differences and so you should be sure to fit both.

5-7 days is enough time to get 2 suits made with lots of fittings, but not if you want a floating canvassed suit (no glue, just stitching). Whilst your budget allows it, it is a much more labour intensive technique and it takes time to do well. You can get two (glued) fused suits in this time no problem.

Do not overlook the lining on the inside of your jacket and pants. It is most common to use a polyester lining here, you want bemberg. All the other fancy linings available in Thailand such as the paisley's, stripes etc are polyester and will not breathe.
Hope this helps

Last edited by tailoronten; Jul 19, 2011 at 1:00 am Reason: adding detail