FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Washington D.C. which hotel? 2007 onward [Master Thread]
Old Jul 17, 2011, 1:38 pm
jibi

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by atjsfo
Hello Flyertalkers,

I'm planning a vacation trip to DC, and at this point I'm considering the Westin City Center and Westin Georgetown.

I'm planning on touristy activities: museums, monuments, etc; as well as a few nice meals; Looking on a map it looks like the Westin City Center is a bit closer to the things I want to do, but I wanted to confirm that choice; I get the impression from reading this thread that the Westin Georgetown is slightly nicer, but I'm not sure it's a huge difference. Also (and I'm probably showing my ignorance of DC here) isn't Georgetown a nice neighborhood? I like the idea of walking around the neighborhood to find a place for breakfast or dinner.

Or, if you have an alternate recommendation for me, I would consider other properties, though I would prefer to spend less points, so I'd rather a cat 4 than cat 5. I tend to prefer Westin to W hotels - I like the interior design of the W hotels, but I always end up feeling like I'm not hip enough for it. And I do like the Westin beds.

Oh, and no kids, and we are both walkers, so we would plan on walking or taking metro around town, if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance,

Tony
The Foggy Bottom station (blue and orange lines) is about a 5-minute walk from the Westin Georgetown. The rest of Georgetown (bars, restaurants) is about a 3-5 minute walk down M Street, although there were a few places within a block of the hotel. Aside from the 500 points bonus in Dusk, it is nothing special (spend the required $10 and nothing more). Foggy Bottom station is about 2 stops and a block walk from the White House and about 4-5 stops from the Mall area. We're not walkers and found no real issues with the Georgetown location. I had previously booked the City Center for the location and price, but I changed my booking after reading reviews on here and TA ... it seemed more like a dungeon than a nicer hotel