FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - First Class: LH 340-300 vs. UA 767-300?
View Single Post
Old Jul 16, 2011, 1:17 pm
stevenshev

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
I really doubt the honesty of anyone who claims they've flown both the old LH first and the new UA first and prefer the LH hard product. The UA hard product wins hand down - more comfortable bed, substantially more privacy (even considering the LH 8-seat 744 config), better IFE, and a reasonable cabin temperature, which you can regulate yourself.

In terms of soft product, there is no question that LH spends more money and puts more thought into its offering. The wines/spirits are always better, caviar service is nice, and you are clearly being served better quality ingredients. That said, it is often hit or miss in terms of tastiness. Still, LH is the clear winner in this category.

Also, no one disputes lounges. But if you're actually flying to get to a destination, rather than sit in an aiport, there is no reason to ever be spending more than 2 hours in a lounge. So, you're comparing 8 hours + of flying with < 2 hours in a lounge - as nice as it may be (and it is - I love the FCT/FCL B in FRA).

For me, whether on a night flight (where sleep is paramount) or a day flight (where IFE is important), UA is the winner. I acknowledge that others who value sleep and IFE less than food and quality of service are correct in voting the other way, but let's not mislead those who do care about a decent night's sleep in a bed/cool cabin.