FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chicago to USAF Museum, day trip - am I mad??
Old Jul 14, 2011, 7:25 pm
zippypinhead

Programs: OnePass Ex-Platinum now dirtinum
"...Have spotted that Dollar do cheap car hire out of Dayton at ca $40 all in, which I'm guessing is cheaper than taxis and more convenient. Any one know what the off-airport shuttle to/from Dollar is like?"

I've never rented a car in Dayton but it's not a very large airport so I would expect the shuttle service to be not too much drama.
On the other hand, as you're driving around the colonies remember this mantra, "Ditch on the right. Look to the left."
I had the opportunity to drive around your lovely country for a few days a couple of years ago. I did quite well with traffic around. The problems came up when I was all alone in the middle of nowhere trying to figure out which lane to use after a turn....
Enjoy your day at the museum.

Edit: Mid week you shouldn't have any problems with the bus trips unless there's a bunch of school kids there that day. Me? I would take the first opportunity of seeing the outlying hangers and come back to the main museum at your own pace.

Edited again to add: Since you're an aviation buff, you might have some interest in how I spent an afternoon a few weeks ago.
The Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA) has a restored 1929 Ford Trimotor they lend out to local chapters to use as a fund raiser. $60 for a 15-20 minute hop. I got really lucky with my flight as there was no more passengers that day. I had coughed up an extra $40 to sit in the right front seat and basically got a half hour of dual instruction on a multi-engine antique aircraft. What a thrill! And, what a beautiful flying old hunk of tin!
Any time you can fly an aircraft with yer arm hangin out the window is an outstanding day. Extra points for being multi-engined. And, extra bonus points for being radial engines to boot!

Last edited by zippypinhead; Jul 14, 2011 at 7:44 pm