FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Targeted]No Fee 1st yr. American Express Gold Card 75,000 Bonus Reward Points Signup
Old Jul 11, 2011, 4:02 pm
Happy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by x712xdamx
In regards to your annual fee on the SPG card - - you are better off to call AMEX and let them know you are considering canceling it due to the annual fee and you'd like to talk to someone about your options. Just be up front and ask if there's any points/miles/money they can offer to keep the card (if they don't initially offer any). They will then usually offer you a few options.
When I called about the Delta Skymiles card recently she said she could offer me $50 statement credit or 7,500 Skymiles. That's much better than 2k SPG points I'd say.
UPDATE:

2nd secured email successfully received $50 statement credit, but the SPG bonus points are made to stay.

BOTH the $50 statement credit AND 2000 SPG points show up in their corresponding accounts today.

Not a single word about cancellation in the SMs. On first SM I just said the Annual Fee now at $65 is a bit steep comparing to my other hotel cards. Would AMEX issue some bonus points or statement credit to help out? I would really appreciate the goodwill gesture. On second SM I said the 2K SPG pts is disappointing because husband received $50 statement credit. Could AMEX up the offer to at least match?

It seems to me with AMEX you do need some persistence and their reps seem to have quite a bit of leeway to do things.