FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Denali National Park travel questions
View Single Post
Old Jul 8, 2011, 3:07 pm
kmfdm91

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by jiangxi
Really appreciate informative responses from fti and Orlando Vic. I will stay in Denali for 3 nights and 2 full days. A couple of more questions:

1. I have narrowed down the private cabin choice to two: Carlo Creek Lodge and Denali Mountain Morning Hostel in Carlo Creek. Both offer private cabins with shared bathrooms. Rates are very close. Can anyone experiencing both recommend one? All we need is a quiet and clean place to sleep at night.

2. If I reserve the shuttle bus tickets online now, can I change the destination on the pickup day based on the weather conditions? I'm thinking one day to wonder lake, and the next to Eielson. If it rains on day 1, I will do Eielson on day 1, and wonder lake on day 2 (hoping it will not rain again).

3. Another question on cruise choices: is it worthwhile doing both Fjord tour (from Seward) and prince williams sound tour (from Wittier)? If most of the contents overlap, I may just do the Fjord 6+ hour tour.

Thanks!
1. I can't tell you which one is better...but I can ask a question - how much are your rates that you're finding? I stayed with my wife the past two years (June 2010 and just two weeks ago in June 2011) at the McKinley Creekside Cabins and highly recommend them, our rates were about US$150/night with a private bathroom.

3. I can't comment on the two tours, but we just did the Major Marine Full-Day Kenai tour and had a blast - apparently it was the only operator with an NPS ranger on-board.

Have a great time, Alaska was such a great experience the first year and went back this year and would still go back again!

-jeremy