FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - NYC cab drove off with suitcase that had $8,000 in irreplaceable jewelry
Old Jul 8, 2011, 7:24 am
ZapperO

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Jetblue Mosaic (past)
NYC cab drove off with suitcase that had $8,000 in irreplaceable jewelry

Dear FT Community,

My girlfriend and I just spent the weekend in NYC and on our way out of town, she took a yellow cab to Penn Station. Upon arriving, she got out to get her bag from the trunk but before she could do so the cab sped off and didn't stop despite her yelling and waiving her arms in protest. She's called the NYC Taxi and Limousin Commission, the police, lost and found at penn and grand central as well as LGA, JFK and EWR. So far, no luck.

The bag was a normal size roller suitcase full of clothing and irreplaceable jewelry given to her by her recently deceased grandma. Even worse, the bag wasn't insured in any way so along with the huge sentimental loss, she's also out thousands of dollars in clothes and jewelry.

She's absolutely devastated and as a good boyfriend, I'm trying to help her get the bag. She's willing to pay a sizable reward and she's also interested in hiring a private investigator to bring some heat on the taxi drivers of the specific cab since taxi and Limousin Commission says they reached the drivers but that they don't have the bag and they don't remember ever having a bag.

The police have refused to take the case thus for so we are trying to find a private investigator. While Google turns up some random firms with sketchy websites, I'd really love to find a private investigator through a personal referral rather than trying to pick one from websites that look like this: http://sfapi.tripod.com/.

Does anyone know a good private investigator in the NYC area? Please help!