FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 32" LG LED HDTV 32LV2500 $299 (Planning to take it india)..will it work??
Old Jul 7, 2011, 10:44 pm
Yaatri
Suspended

Originally Posted by hserus
b. The chance of customs people asking you for some money (duty, bribes, or both) is just about 100%
Originally Posted by Keyser
this is no longer true....if you are ready to pay the correct duty then there is no question of bribes....it's a very easy process now....very transparent....
Originally Posted by DFW DL
Sorry, but you must be living in some other place called India. In the India where I live, the solicitation of bribes by corrupt public officials is still very much a part of everyday life. Have you not hear of the Jan Lokpal debate?
Why the invective? My experience has been difference. In more than 30 years of travel, I was once harassed by customs officials, which was resolved quickly. If you are polite, upfront and play by the rules, i.e. willing to pay the duty, they don't harass you.
Originally Posted by DFW DL
To the OP...you should be able to bring this in duty-free as part of your Rs 20,000 allowance. Make sure you have the original receipt...even if the Customs people try to bring out an "Indian Price List", that is irrelevant. Firmly but politely insist that the item is valued as per the receipt and that it is part of your duty free allowance. Eventually they will give up and go hassle someone with five TVs.
Aren't you saying essentially what Keyser said--play by the rules?
BTW, Indian price list is not irrelevant. Customs duty is levied on normal market price, which might not be what you paid.