Old Jul 5, 11, 2:09 am
QRC3288

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by RupertC View Post
I had this situation on a HKG-SIN sector in February 2011 as part of an AA F award ticket. CX changed the equipment from 74A to regional 777 several months ahead of my travel date. I did not contest the downgrade with CX on the day as cash compensation appears to be offered only if downgraded at short notice.

I contacted AA after travel and subsequently received 4000 miles.
I suspect this may be a big reason why CX is so flippant with aircraft subs on the SIN route. I used to think that only holiday destinations like DPS were heavy AA F redemption routes (since admittedly most locals, even the well heeded ones, seem okay with J for 3-4 hour flights), but I'm starting to think (based on a lot of the anecdotal evidence we hear on here) that a lot of the F demand to SIN is also with AA members flying awards tix.

For the AA members, it makes sense for them to redeem the miles since the additional miles they use on that sector is probably low (clarification?), but from CX's point of view the value they get from AA for that sector has to be pretty low also. I do get a chuckle from AA members who get indignant when the HKG-SIN sector gets downgraded (I'd love to see the actual cash value of that downgrade....I bet it's peanuts, same with the AONE), considering how few I'm assuming additional miles are needed for the SIN sector, but it's still not an excuse for CX to care less about F on that route. If they're selling F, it just doesn't make sense to me why they shouldn't have the capability of offering it except in the most extreme cases - especially since SQ offers such a compelling product on the exact same route.

Someone who was truly insistent on getting the best product on the route (and paying cash, not AA miles) would likely pay for SQ's suites on the A380 daily service HKG-SIN anyway.