FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - U.S. to Asia (mostly CX First, in installments)
Old Jun 25, 2002, 5:29 pm
Guava
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RKDuke:

Guy Betsy: Canada is another country? Connecting through HKG or NRT or just about any other major international gateway does not involve the difficulties that connecting through YYZ involved. I suppose this is simply and indication that YYZ is more of a destination that a connection hub....
</font>
Sure Canada is another country. Japan and Hong Kong didn't have a 9-11 accident happened on or near them, which means security is arguably slightly less on the minds of people. Of course, they also don't have the threat of dirty bombs or anthrax everyday or two. A friend from Japan visiting us last month was totally puzzled why his camera (battery is dead) is considered a potential lethal weapon that the security absolutely won't let him pass for a domestic Montreal-Vancouver flight with that camera. He had to go back to the check-in counter and check that as a luggage or forfeit the camera. Had this happened in Asia, after some quick checks, they most likely will let you through, maybe causing less delays but more risky IMO.

I agree connecting through YYZ from the USA or other non-Canadian airports can be a hassle - but it all depends on the time of your arrival. Sometimes it's like a zoo but very often, it makes you understand why on average there is less than 3 people per KM square of inhabitants in Canada. In any case, Toronto by all definition is not a "destination" airport - unless, they somehow manage to win the bid for a Summer Olympic Games as they so desire. For your info, Toronto, is the 2nd or 3rd largest Star-Alliance Hub in North America. A hub is made for connections. If I can change one thing, I wish all pax connecting through Canada to go to a non-Canadian destination (e.g. LHR-YYZ-LAS or BOS-YYZ-NRT) do not have to clear the Canadian customs as they are simply connecting, not entering Canada. This is logical but not doable at this time due to the way the airport is designed.