FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Denali National Park travel questions
View Single Post
Old Jun 30, 2011, 3:53 pm
Orlando Vic

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by jiangxi
I am planning to spend 2 nights in Denali NP mid-August. I have some questions for your input.

1. Is there any reasonably priced lodging in the park so we don't have to finish the school bus trip in one day? We plan to take the wonder lake route. We have never camped and do not plan to do it this time. The only lodging inside the park that I found online cost almost $400 a night, which is way out of our budget.

2. If we have to lodge outside the park at the end of day 1, is it worthwhile to do another school bus trip in day 2? 10-hour bus is a lot to take in one day. If we do wonder lake in day 1, any suggestion for day 2 trip?

3. Any good trails (no longer than 4 miles total or half a day hike) in the park to recommend? Wife is very afraid of bears, so any device we can bring along to scare them away in the worst scenario?

4. Is the school bus ticket good for one day only or multiple days? I assume that if we stay in the park, one ticket will do. If we come out at the end of day 1 and re-enter in day 2, do we need to buy two-day tickets?

5. I read Healy is a better town for lodging than the town right by the entrance. Since we drive a rental car, we are flexible staying where rates are lower. As long as it doens't take more than 20 minutes to get to the entrance, we will consider.
#1. Not in the park. I agree that $400/night is too high.
#2. I believe the shuttle bus to Eielson Visitor Center is 8 hrs RT.
#4. One day only.
#5. I agree with staying in Healy. The Denali Dome Home http://www.denalidomehome.com is a nice, convenient, comfortable place to stay with excellent breakfasts. The owners are very helpful with miscellaneous questions and sightseeing needs.

I might add that it is advisable to make your shuttle bus reservations in advancehttp://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisi...servations.htm and your hotel too.

Last edited by Orlando Vic; Jun 30, 2011 at 3:59 pm