FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Rules/law about getting off a plane connected to jetway
Old Jun 30, 2011, 11:25 am
jchock1

Rules/law about getting off a plane connected to jetway

A few weeks ago I was on a flight MCI-ATL-CLT, when ATL was shut down for some time due to storms and our flight from MCI-ATL was diverted to MEM due to lack of fuel to circle ATL.

We pulled into a gate, and the wait began. The captain asked that we remain on board until we were refueled, etc., and the MEM gate agents were on and off the plane checking on things. I called Delta reservations, asked to be booked on the first flight the next day from MEM-CLT. The agent confirmed me on the first flight the next day, I grabbed my bag, and walked off the plane.

A very panic-y FA followed me up the jetway, saying the captain said no one was to get off the plane, etc. I was very polite, told her I had already been confirmed on the MEM-CLT flight the next day, and continued walking. The gate agent inside the airport said I couldn't get off the plane(even though I already WAS off) because of some TSA rule. I didn't have any checked bags, and she knew that, so not sure what she was referring to.

Anyway, I apologized profusely to the FA and gate agents for potentially messing up something in their system. Though Delta clearly wasn't obligated to put me up for the night in MEM due to weather, they did, and I was in bed at the Marriott by 11pm.

I checked the next day, and had I not mutinied, I would not have arrived into Charlotte until 4:45am the next morning.

Anyway, I don't know if I broke some law or rule by disobeying the captain (he never "ordered" us to stay on the plane, just "asked"), and there were many others on the plane who would have done the same thing, but didn't, since they were told they couldn't get off of the plane. I was the only one who left.

Is there someplace where these types of rules are written (ie passengers have a legal right to disembark a plane when connected to a jetway, or don't have a legal right to, etc.) and what the punishments are, if any, if passengers disobey a captain's requests?

Thanks.