FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amex increasing my BA Premium Plus Card Fee
Old Jun 29, 2011, 7:02 am
GavT_london

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by DUSBOY
I have just recieved a Letter from Amex informing me that they are increasing my annual fee for my BA Premium+ card from £30 to £150.

I've had a BA Amex Premium Plus Card for the last 8 years. I have another Amex card, so when I took it out I got a discount to the fee applied. I remember reading that a few years back they took away this discount offer but assumed it was only for new applicants - certainly they kept on charging me the £30. Apparently this just luck for me / a slip up from amex?

To my mind, as an individual customer that puts a fair amount through their cards annually, they are ripping me off and abusing the relationship we have. Essentially putting up my fee by 400% and giving me nothing in return. The fact that they might have done it to other customers previously is not relevant to my relationship with them.

I rang amex to complain and understand why. The customer satisfaction team member told me that "The FSA have been going through our customers ensuring we are treating all customers fairly and we have found some that have slipped through the net and were not moved to the higher fee with everyone else". This sounded like BS to me, and after a bit of probing it transpired it was.
Now told I have three options: cancel card, keep card with 150 fee and recieve £100 of tesco shopping vouchers, downgrade to basic card with no fee.

Apparently becasue of my spend I'm entitled to a call back from "Senior Vice President" to discuss my concerns.

Is this scenario familiar to anyone? What was your expereince?
I could be in a similar situation then - my fee was £30 based on me having another amex card and been a member for many years. My membership year ends towards end of july so presume i'll get a call soon.