FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - EU citizen living in the US on a J1 visa visiting Cuba
Old Jun 28, 2011, 6:40 am
alexb133

Programs: AC Aeroplan - Elite Status. DL Skymiles - Regular Status
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Americans visit Cuba by the hundreds of thousands every year illegally. Nobody gets in trouble for it. Cuban immigration officials don't stamp American passports and Cuba welcomes Americans with open arms. If you don't want to lie, then simply don't go (unless the terms of your visa allow you to legally go).

America actually is Cuba's second largest source of tourists after Canada, and that figure only includes Americans that come legally.
Yeah, I agree with MAH. Upon your return to the US, I would not list Cuba as a visited country if I were you. Even though your visa terms allow for that, it doesn't mean they won't give you a hard time. You are going to be sent to secondary, they will do all standard bag searches and question you. If you plan to do that, at least choose a longer layover.

Now you stated you'll clear CBP in Miami.. Granted, they should be more familiar with Cuban travel than any other POE.