FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Rocky Mountains Road Trip - Advice?
View Single Post
Old Jun 26, 2011, 10:26 am
Lincoln

Programs: Hotels.com, Omni, Jetblue, SouthWest, Frontier
Originally Posted by k_malm
Did you plan on going to Yellowstone at all? If so, I highly suggest driving from Red Lodge, MT to the Cooke City, WY and entering there. The drive takes you up over a HUGE mountain pass, something over 11,000 feet. We did it last summer. You truly feel like you are on top of the world.
I'll be going to Yellowstone, Montana isn't part of the loop, so instead I'd be coming in from the south (this is assuming I start the loop going south of Denver instead of north.) I was told the drive on US-89 to Jackson and through Teton National Park was spectacular as well, although glad you mentioned this because I hadn't realized the map shows me turning towards South Dakota BEFORE I reached Yellowstone (I've since updated.) Not sure I'd want to drive TOO far up in elevation as I do get a little nervous when I'm driving my car and see planes flying PAST me.

Originally Posted by MXS
In Wyoming I would suggest (depending on weather but it probably will not be a problem in October) going to Yellowstone NP and then driving Cody-Worland-Buffalo. That will take you over the Big Horn Mountains and the scenery should be great that time of year. It would beat the drive of going clear down to Casper and then back north (this drive will mostly be flat prairie and become a little monotonous).
I think you have a great trip planned and should be able to do it in the time frame that you are thinking.
Looks like Canyon de Chelly may be doable, I'd definitely like to see that if you enjoyed the visit. Thanks for pointing that out about Wyoming, I could see from the terrain that it was going to be a flat drive (I've driven through Mississippi and that was about as monotonous as you could get.) I hadn't realized I wasn't going up far enough to visit Yellowstone (and Old Faithful) so I pushed the itinerary further up north so I'll pass through Big Horn as you suggested.

There's two options from there though: taking Route 16 or Route 14. Does Route 14 offer anything compelling am I better off driving south and passing through Worland to Route 16?