FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Any FTers arriving into LHR or LGW on June 30? Strike day?
Old Jun 25, 2011, 7:33 pm
randomflyer

Any FTers arriving into LHR or LGW on June 30? Strike day?

As the title of this thread may hint, I am.

Guess the best laid plans to avoid the strikes, by coming home in September before the promised "Autumn" and "Winter of Discontent" didn't count on suddenly having a general strike on June 30, long after plans were set.

After reading in the paper that the Immigration/Border staff are included in the public employee group expected to strike (or not, but we'll find out), I wrote to BA to ask what they would advise travellers coming in on a flight needing to clear immigration.

I'll cut to the lead: They just said "watch this space" essentially. And check for updates in their travel news section.

Not a surprising answer. But wanted to ask the question anyway.

Why am I beginning to get visions of 747s and various big birds piled up at stands Thursday morning, not allowing pax to get off, because the immigrations halls were already full and nobody there to let them through?

So, guess all we can do is "watch this space" on the BA travel news. Sigh.

(And hope for the best on Thursday of course, whatever public employee portal one has to traverse.)