FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Do award seats tend to open up closer to departure date on Cathay
Old Jun 24, 2011, 5:41 pm
golfingboy
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by eternalX
I'm trying all of those. Not much available outbound in August or September. Plenty coming back
FWIW, I booked my JNB trip that starts on June 28 on June 2, and most of the days in that week had F space available from YVR, LAX, and SFO... The biggest issue for me was SFO, because AS refused to transport me to SFO from LAX, only SJC, so that knocked out a day or two...

I was also originally in C on the return segment, then I changed to confirm myself in F, and then I changed the outbound date... In the end all 4 of my CX segments are now in F...

Since you are based in SEA, all three airports are an option for you and I am pretty confident that F space will open up from one of the three airports within a few days of your currently booked day of departure between now and Aug/Sept.

So, book it, since you are a Gold, worst case scenario you will bag the trip and lose $25 [non refundable partner award booking fee]... Monitor the BA Executive Club site for any F space that might open up, don't use the CX site, because it gives you more award space than what AS sees.