FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hand baggage weight limit
View Single Post
Old Jun 23, 2011, 1:34 am
LeisureFirst

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
I've got lots of plenty of moans about BA, but not the hand baggage limit

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I'm pretty sure the 23kg limit on cabin bags has been there for a while. I don't remember seeing the "and you must be able to lift the bag into the overhead lockers in the aircraft cabin unaided." part though.
The "must be able to lift..." part has been there a long time, alongside a disclaimer that it doesn't apply to small elderly people. Or those departing EZE. So no need to worry.

The 23kg limit on hand luggage comes and goes. It wasn't there for a long time, then it did appear on the main hand baggage page a couple of years ago, then it disappeared (about a year ago, iirc), at least from the main web page on hand baggage. Now it seems that it's back .

Note, however, it's a maximum bag weight. Since you're allowed two pieces of hand baggage, that's really a 46kg limit. That's far more generous than almost any other airline. Even 23kg beats most. Many have limits of 8 or 10kg and some even try to enforce limits of 5kg - given that a Macbook can weigh 3kg, that's really not enough for basic carriage of valuables and essential medicines, let alone a change of clothes.

Last edited by LeisureFirst; Jun 23, 2011 at 1:41 am