FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Downgrading compensation - it's official!
Old Jun 21, 2011, 9:52 am
UnitedConnection

Originally Posted by emanon256
I really think I should just drop this and move on. I am worried if I do pursue it, and somehow prove it, that the auditors will cancel all of my tickets or cancel my MP account.

I spoke to a travel editor about it, and he said that many times if a customer wins a charge back, the airline will simply send the customer to collection. He offered to contact them on my behalf, but said he would then have to write about it using my full name which I do not want him to do. So I requested he not do it.
On the first issue, don't think that's something worth worrying about. As bad as uaCO customer service is becoming, there isn't anything to suggest they would fire you as a customer. That would be both (i) nuts and (ii) of dubious status legally.

On the second point, you seem pretty concerned about your anonymity, and IMO, overly so. Maybe this is a difference in personal style, but I don't think I would be so worried about my name in this situation. It isn't "bad press;" uaCO wronged you, not you them.

On the whole situation, just ugh. While it's clear there was a misinterpretation / incorrect entry (could have even been the TA's fault from the get-go by characterizing the charge as a change fee, who knows?) on the uaCO end, it's crazy to me that they would so vehemently defend their position and not give the customer the benefit of the doubt in this case. I mean, let's be honest, if it actually were a change fee, the OP's complaints wouldn't even make sense- where would the C buy-up even come from?

The changes at uaCO are moving beyond just reigning in compensation; this is a fundamental shift in attitude toward customers. No, Mr. Smisek, I don't like.