FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - I won the "trip to anywhere in the world" (up to $20k)! So...where should we go?!
Old Jun 18, 2011, 3:05 pm
BettyKat

Programs: ALLLLLLL of them. Well, most...
Trip recommendations, please! No worries re: the taxes...

Hi, guys; thanks for your concern - I really mean it!

I don't want to clutter up the thread with my knowledge on this topic but it is extensive and to just sum it up:

1. You are only taxed on what you use, so if we decide to take a trip to Philadelphia and it costs $2,500, that's what I'll be taxed on - not $20k.
2. We do want to use all $20k if we can (and yes, that means we will be taxed on it).
3. There are IRS laws about these things and you can adjust your tax return accordingly (e.g., if you tell me I won a used sleeping bag and then sent me a 1099 saying it was worth $15,000, I can make an adjustment on my tax return and explain/document that in fact it is worth, say, $50 - and I will be only be taxed for $50).

There is a lot more to this but as someone who has been entering sweepstakes for years, I will just sum it up as: this is a legitimate sweepstakes, a legitimate trip and no one is trying to screw me over! I've won trips before (Korea, Hawaii) but nothing near this level of a trip (and I have a lot of experience on the tax implications of winning things, trips, items that are hard to declare the value on, etc.).

If we insist on Antarctica, I'm sure they'll let us go. I'll be honest as gently as I can: I suspect the reason she was not enthusiastic about Antarctica is because she just doesn't know a lot about it (not trying to put her down - she is very friendly - but she is based in Georgia and I did not have the sense she deals with a lot of international high rollers who go on $20,000 trips).

For example, when I mentioned safaris, she said this was a great idea and there were a lot of good ones, including Abercrombie etc. BUT: I'd already heard from our roommate (director of sales at Raffles, extensive international traveler) that Cox & Kings is an example of a REALLY high end safari company. Obviously we'd want that. She may not even know who they are (and if you're wondering, his vote was for an African safari).

So, I DO think....which is why I'm posting here...that we are going to need to direct her on specifics if we get exotic (like, say, Africa or Antarctica). She seemed to have more knowledge on Tahiti and Australia/New Zealand...I'm guessing just because more people go to these places.

Therefore, if we can all assume for the moment that the lawyering and accounting is handled on this....and that even if you suspect I'm an idiot and it isn't, you acknowledge that only I will have to deal with the consequences....where should we go?

Regards,
Katherine