FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Circle Pacific on oneworld: CGK-HKG-YVR-JFK-LAX-MEL-SYD-CGK
Old Jun 16, 2011, 11:56 pm
quirrow

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
Transpacific on an A380 - QF94 LAX-MEL (Part 1)

QF94 Los Angeles Tom Bradley International LAX - Melbourne Tullamarine MEL
04 May 2011
Airbus A380-800 VH-OQI "David Warren"
Scheduled ETD/ETA: 2330-0820 (+2)
Actual Time of Departure/Arrival: 0021-0909 (+2)
Seat No: 22K

A trip across South Pacific on the Flying Kangaroo

Concourse B for oneworld flights

From the Getty Centre I drive myself to the airport and it was a really tiring journey amidst LA's terrible traffic on I-405. Reached the rental car return at 1915 and boarded the shuttle to TBIT. From there it was easy to spot concourse 3 where the large signs of BA, QF and CX lit up the area. As it was early, there was little to no queue on the Qantas check in line. There does not seem to be a self check in desk counter or area though so even after checking in online, I still had to head to the Business check in line to get my boarding pass printed. I was served almost immediately, and I also got the grey Qantas sleeve for the boarding pass. Nice!'

Qantas check-in desk

I headed next to the ticketing counter as I wanted to make some changes on my Circle Pacific itinerary and after getting everything in order, I headed to security. The priority line was slightly shorter than the normal one but there doesn't seem to be much problem for the mass traveller today as well. Thus far throughout my trip in the States, I haven't really encountered the horrendous queues in security as mentioned by fellow travellers. Maybe I was lucky?

Entrance to the oneworld lounge

Shower room in oneworld lounge

Security went by smoothly and the rest of the people behind me were flight crews for a departing BA flight. The oneworld lounge was easy to find past security as the signs led me to the elevator to the 5th floor. I really like the wood accent welcoming me though only 2 counters were serving the lounge guests. One for first class and another for business. This led to some wait as both counters seems to be busy catering to guests. And the lounge was really crowded, similar to the Pier in HKIA, so it was straight to the shower as it was a really hot two days in LA. Having arrived from cool Vancouver, I was sweating and feeling tired. It was however my first time having a shower in an airport. I had to go to the end of the lounge and exchange my boarding pass for a metal tag indicating the shower cubicle I would be using. Initial impressions were nice with clean toilets and fresh towels. There was even Molton Brown amenities, though they come in huge bottles for common use, a sign of cost cutting I guess. But still great nonetheless since I liked the Molton Brown fragrances. The helpful attendants were also able to provide me with some cotton tips to end the refreshing shower.

Chicken fiesta soup and tomato basil soup

Rice with chicken fajita style

After feeling clean and refreshed, I helped myself to a bowl of chicken fiesta soup and tomato basil soup both of which were superb and the spiciness of the latter was just right for my taste buds. Next on the plate was some Asian chicken wrap and Greek vegetable wrap which was kind of awful, though the rice with chicken fajita style was delicious and I had seconds for it. For beverages I chose Ginger Ale not Canada Dry but still quite good. To end my dinner I went with a chocolate brownie, cookies and a helping of fruit cocktail. All of this gulped down with a cranberry juice! It was a satisfying meal at the lounge and I set on to read some magazines and browse the Internet.

Bar counter in the lounge

Salad and appetizer bar

It was painfully slow to surf the web and time past by fast, before long it was time to board the plane as boarding call was made at 22:45. I made the trek towards gate 123 which seems specifically made for A380 boarding as there were 2 separate gates for boarding. I queued up at the Business line and it wasn't long before i walked along the sloped entryway up to the upper deck.

Boarding gate at LAX

Last edited by quirrow; Jul 5, 2011 at 1:58 am