FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Getting German citizenship/passport
View Single Post
Old Jun 15, 2011, 2:34 am
Aviatrix

Originally Posted by jugnage
To my knowledge the town was pretty much destroyed. from what i have gathered it was mostly farmland, and eventually borders and town boundaries are redrawn. In speaking with my family the town does not show up on any current map, and my family being the US for so long has lost knowledge of surrounding towns or land marks to pinpont the last know location.
Have you tried googling the name of the town?

And... was it actually a TOWN, in the European sense, or was it what we would call a village (Dorf in German)? I believe that American English uses the word "town" to describe much smaller settlements, those that we would describe as a village.

there has been reference to Polish citizenship but I am not sure I would qualify. My father's parents passed when I was very young and I believe all their children (my aunts and uncles) by now has obtained US citizenship. is there a "grand father " clause for Polish citizen ship?
I don't know the answer - but I do know that laws regarding citizenship vary greatly from one country to the next. Some countries look back one generation, others look back two or three. Some countries look at a parent's citizenship at the time of the child's birth, others only look at the parent's citizenship at the time of the parent's birth. So - you will need to do some research into Polish citizenship law to find out if there is any possibility of you qualifying for Polish citizenship.

Returning to the subject of your grandparents' home town/village in Poland... it's occurred to me that a genealogy forum might be a good place to obtain more information. There are hundreds of forums and mailing lists at www.rootsweb.com, including a whole sub-section dealing specifically with territories either side of the present German-Polish border

http://boards.rootsweb.com/localitie...istreg/mb.ashx

(Rootsweb isn't the only place that has genealogy forums... but it's the one I'm familiar with)