FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Getting German citizenship/passport
View Single Post
Old Jun 14, 2011, 11:49 pm
jugnage

Thank you all for the valuable information. Before I ask my questions I wanted to answer Aviatrix question.

To my knowledge the town was pretty much destroyed. from what i have gathered it was mostly farmland, and eventually borders and town boundaries are redrawn. In speaking with my family the town does not show up on any current map, and my family being the US for so long has lost knowledge of surrounding towns or land marks to pinpont the last know location.

As for my questions:

1) Being in the US my knowledge is some what limited on finding a lawyer that specializes in this area? I am assuming I need to find one in Germany. is there any insights some one could lend?

2) There was a suggestion of parish registers. 757DUD are you potentially referring to the church where my grandparents were married? I have never thought of that and maybe if it still exists it could tell me the last known location of the town.

3) there has been reference to Polish citizenship but I am not sure I would qualify. My father's parents passed when I was very young and I believe all their children (my aunts and uncles) by now has obtained US citizenship. is there a "grand father " clause for Polish citizen ship?