FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travel greater distance by car? New VW Passat TDI has 800 mile range
Old Jun 13, 2011, 9:41 am
travelmad478

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by BearX220
Most crossovers are stupid vehicles. They bring the disadvantages of SUVs (trucklike stance, poor MPG) without enough of the advantages of regular wagons.

There's almost no choice out there for normal, traditional station wagons.
I know, and I just don't understand why that is. I don't want a truck; I want a car with reasonably decent gas mileage and a healthy amount of cargo space. This should not be so difficult. As I said above, at this point it's basically the Subaru Outback or nothing. I want a little bit of luxury (things like heated seats and a nice stereo) and a nice-looking car, but I would feel ridiculous hauling bags of compost around in a BMW 5-series--not to mention that the maintenance costs on BMWs are too obnoxious to contemplate.

Maybe by the time my Passat really craps out, some new wagons will have come along. I'll keep my fingers crossed. At least Subarus are still there for me. I've owned two Subaru wagons in the past and had good experiences with them.