FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping
Old Jun 13, 2011, 5:23 am
Marathon Man
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
I have completed the initial water test.

I would like to leave the rolls soaking a bit longer but it has worked rather well. The paper pulled off rather easily and I used a small bucket with water to do this so the coins were in the water now.

I put them on a dish towel but one could also use a big beach towel to dry them.

Of course there's the fact that they may not get 100% dry when you go to bag them and your piles on towels should also be only $1k, but here's the thing:

some banks--namely this big omni-present blue and red bank in America (not naming names) claim to take bags and do everything by weight. So if your coins are wet, they may weigh more!

You would bring them in saying each are $1,000 and later see a potential credit on your account for something like $3.48 lol

This could maybe make up for the sorrows of one poster in here from months ago who said his multi-thousands in deposits was later debited by that same bank when the bank said he was off by $33 and change. His answer: If I just deposited dollar coins, how could I be off by change? Last I heard they never replied to that nor did he get his money back.

I have been told by this same bank that they will take any amount of coins in their big bank bags so long as they are sealed $1k bags with my acct number on them, and that when I bring them to the branch that I should call first to accept them, they will send them out to a facility that verifies them and uses an uber counting machine a lot like the ones some banks have in their lobbies but much more robust. This process takes about a week but then you see your entire deposit credit to your account.

So, if you don't mind getting wet, go for it. And you may or may not get a few $ credit.

I will later try the 'coins by fire' method and see if this compromises the metal and thus its worth.