FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Noise Canceling Headsets- Best ones?
View Single Post
Old Jun 12, 2011, 9:33 pm
GadgetFreak
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by ClassCAir
Originally Posted by ~tc~
I had the "non foldable" (the ear pieces rotated to store flat) Able Planet ones, they were reasonably comfortable, had good noise cane Larkin and sounded pretty good, especially when turned on (they will play when off or if batteries are dead, unlike the Bose).

However, after about 3 trips, the cord got a short and was very position dependent. I also did not like how much space they took up and that it was hard to sleep with them on, so I got some Etymotic in-ears to replace them. So far, I am thinking that sound isolation is better than active noise canceling, but I haven't used them on a long trip. I am also intending to have custom ear molds made for them to increase the comfort further, but want to see how they do "stock" first.

I wish someone made a quality set of noise canceling AND sound isolating in-ears ... IMHO that would be awesome for travel
I never considered Etymotic, or any in-ear buds for that batter- but based on your review & others, I'm seriously considering something like this. Thanks!
If you do some searches here there is a huge amount of information in a number of threads on this topic. Basically the Etymotic and Shure in ear monitors have a lot of fans. I primarily use Etymotics now although I have a pair of Bose. For me, I prefer the Etymotics. The only exceptions are on longer flights. On trans Atlantic and Pacific flights I sometimes use the Bose due to comfort on 5 hour plus flights. On shorter flights it isn't an issue for me.