FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AF Premium Voyager Review
View Single Post
Old Jun 12, 2011, 8:00 am
markscarls

premium disappointment

We just took two flights in AF Premium Voyageur and overall were very disappointed.

First, although this may be a problem with all AF flights, not just Premium
Voyager, we found the seat reservations policy confusing. I made seat requests at the time of purchase. However, because of the odd lettering sequence that was used, I admit I got confused and ended up with two center seats in a row with four seats. When I tried to change them, I got some strange story about how it could only be done on some special day at some special hour and I had missed it. I couldn't get an explanation that made sense. However, I was told there were two pairs of unassigned window and aisle seats that I might be able to get if I got to the airport early.

I asked when was the earliest I could get anything done and was given a time. I arrived at that time and discovered noone would be there for 90 more minutes. As a Premium Voyageur passenger, I did not have to check in with all of the Economy passengers, at least.

When I could check in, I was told that the seats weren't assigned yet but might not be available -- depending if they were sold before take-off, which at that point was only a few hours away. I was told I could try at the gate.

When I got to the gate, the personnel looked at me like I had lost my mind. Those seats were already assigned.

I have no idea if anyone at AF has any idea what they are talking about regarding seat assignments.

Boarding at LAX was easy and fast.

When we got to our seats, I was pleased with the extra leg room. However, after sitting in the seats for an hour, I realized the bottom was hard as a rock. By the end of the flight, my girlfriend was in agony.

For the return flight, I bought a patio seat cushion for her, and we grabbed extra pillows from business class as we boarded. They helped some.

The seats slide down for reclining. However, we found the mechanism hard to control. Once your were down, getting back up was a pain -- literally.

I think AF has to provided instructions on how to use the seats properly.

Several people around us also found the seats uncomfortable. Maybe you have to be just the right size.

The telescoping head lamps worked, but they sometimes got in the way.

On the return trip, my girlfriend's tv screen didn't work. For not having it for a 10.5 hour flight, she was offered 50 dollars credit for duty-free shopping ONLY ON THE PLANE, 50 dollars off a plane ticket WITH A 12-MONTH EXPIRATION, or 5,000 frequent flyer miles, which was barely better than nothing.

The meals, which were the same as economy, were disappointing at best. Going, the main meal was a pasta dish and rice salad. Some combo. On the return, the hot food was luke-warm.

The same flight attendants cover both PV and economy, so you barely see them.

I had gotten the impression that we could use the AF lounge in Charles DeGaulle for free for our layover on our return from Italy. However, I was very rudely informed that it would cost 35 Euros per person.

What also added to the overall confusion was that I booked the tickets directly with AF but provided my Delta FF number. The confirmation e-mail and number came from Delta. However, when I would call Delta with follow-up questions, the person would admit to having difficulties because AF had some different policies than Delta. So then I would call AF, and the person would have trouble finding my record because I had a Delta confirmation number.

In summary, I would recommend against trying Premium Voyager.